The kitchen in a home is the central area that is always bustling with activity. In olden days, the kitchen was the place where an open fire was kept alive from dawn to dusk not only to cook meals for the family but also to keep warm in times of wet and cold weather.
We live in ultra modern times today where homes and houses are fashionably designed to make a statement of the taste and likings of the owner or the occupant. Most people take on the job of modifications and renovations upon themselves as a DIY project to give space to their creative ideas and imagination. Renovating or remodeling the kitchen is a very popular DIY concept that sounds attractive to hordes of people, even amateurs with no previous experience of remodeling or renovation. While it is a rather creative and cost-effective way to redesign that area of a home which holds memories for a lifetime, it is important that you remember some very basic but vital factors that are consistent with kitchen renovation.
1. Do not ‘go alone' – even if you are an avid DIY believer, consulting a design or renovation expert before getting the project going will help fine-tune the renovation plan and bring in new ideas and suggestions that you may have missed. Some design stores offer free consultations.
2. Remember the budget – allocate finances keeping in mind the extra or new features required; things like cabinets can make up a third of the total cost.
3. Skimping on depository solutions – cabinet storage, drawer dividers, pantry pullouts are very sensible and efficient kitchen depository solutions and must be thought of at the beginning.
4. Don't visualize it as an upgrade – a kitchen renovation is a significant expenditure and one that should last for several years so give considerable thought to factors like lifestyle, socializing, etc that will reflect in the overall design.
5. Never forget the ‘big picture'- every element is important in renovation – flooring, wall color, hardware, appliances and so on because they should all tie together.
6. Prioritize workflow – the ‘work triangle' in a kitchen revolves around the refrigerator, sink and stove. Hence, their location must be planned to maximize efficiency.
7. Put in plenty of counter space – this is an absolutely vital element in a good kitchen design; extensions can be provided by foldable countertops, shelving supports and so on.
8. Remember to choose appliances first – choosing appliances and gadgets before a kitchen makeover is crucial as it has to tie in with redesigning of space.
9. Protect other spaces – any home renovation on redesign has to be worked around protecting walls, surfaces and other areas from paint drippings, remodeling material and debris.
10. Have fun – a kitchen is also an area that can be made to look pretty – besides elegant furniture, cabinet tops, tiles and so on, using a play of colors or an art deco piece to give a different look adds to the overall look.