Are you ready for your toddler to move from their crib to a bed? Whether this is because you have a new baby on the way or whether the baby has outgrown the crib its time to consider your two options – regular size bed or a toddler bed. The camps are split on this one. Some people believe that toddler beds are the way to go and others think why waste money on a toddler bed that is going to have to be replaced soon anyways. You still figuring out which side you're on? Stop listening to everyone else and take into account your own situation. Figure out how much space you have, what your budget is and most importantly think about what your child would need best. Before you decide, there you should consider the pros and the cons of toddler beds.
Infant Bed Advantages
– A toddler bed could use the same crib mattress that your child was used to. So this makes it easier to settle back into the familiar surroundings. The big plus is that you do not have to go and buy new bedding since the crib mattress usually the same size so this is a cost-effective option.
– The bed is lower so its easy to get into and out of. If you are afraid that your kid could fall out, you can get a toddler bed with guardrails that will prevent that. These railings can also provide a sense of safety to the child similar to that of a crib.
– These beds are great if you have limited space and have to save the crib for another baby. Also this is ideal if you want to save more space in the play area.
– There are plenty of theme beds available in this style. So, this can make the new bed fun for the child.
Infant Bed Disadvantages
– A huge disadvantage is that these beds are intended to be and designed for children between 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 years of age. So your toddler is likely to outgrow the crib. Once the child gets used to the toddler bed its time to switch to a larger twin size bed again.
– Just because these toddler beds are lower, they are easier to get in and out of. While this can be a good, this can also be bad. Your child could keep getting out of it because its easier rather than staying in bed.
– When you buy a toddler bed and mattress be wary of the size. Some companies build these both in odd sizes so that you have to keep going back to them for any sheets and/or accessories. They usually charge a premium because of the lack of competition.
– Also keep in mind that a standard crib sheet is 52 inches x 27 inches. If your child is in the higher percentiles the timeframe for the use of the bed is going to be even shorter.