Before you start your home garden activities, it's a must to provide yourself with the needed tools and equipment in your nursery. These tools and equipment must be available all the time to make your gardening works easy and convenient.
You can work peacefully and efficiently if you have a complete tools and equipment in your nursery. You would not be worrying where to borrow because you have a complete sets of them always at hand when eventualities so arises.
You don't need big amount to start collecting your tools and equipment. You can visit some agriculture stores for garden tools and buy at bargain those that are not so costly, especially during yard sales. As a gardener, you've to follow this slogan ” Use the Right Tool to the Right Job” to make your gardening work successful.
Some Basic Tools and Equipment
• Shovels – A round-ended shovel should be preferred for digging especially for planting trees and smaller shrubs.
• Garden Hoes – A garden hoe is useful for weeding and cultivating soil surfaces to allow for deeper plant root penetration of nutrients and water.
• Bow Rake -Provide a good heavy duty bow rake, which has short tines on one side attached to a metal frame or ‘bow.' This tool is vital for leveling the soil to make it ready for planting, or for removing large clods of earth or rocks from the soil.
• Spading Forks – The spading fork is needed to open and improve the soil. It looks like a pitchfork but has a shorter handle and wider tines. It is used to dig down into hard soil and break up the ground.
• Dull Bolo – This tool is common in the Philippines, its uses is similar with a garden used for weeding and cultivation.
• Sharp Bolo – A sharp bolo is used to cut some grasses and small branches or generally for clearing operations prior to soil cultivation.
• Garden shears – Select a pair of garden shears that fits comfortably in your hand. Shears, sometimes called clippers, are used for pruning, shaping and removing foliage or branches.
• Garden Hose – Hose is necessary to water your garden. Depending on how much there is to water a sprinkler is also a good addition to the watering garden equipment list.
• Sprinkler Can – This is essential for watering your plants. Long nozzles allow the water to come out at a very gentle flow rate and are useful for reaching across long distances. Select a watering can that has a detachable spray head – this type of watering can is perfect for watering young seedlings.
• Hand Sprayer – Hand sprayer is useful for spraying some minor insect pests that are easily managed for minor insect attack in the garden.
• Spade – Similar to shovel, but it has a square end point used for digging and making a straight plots and beds.
• Carts and wheelbarrows – are necessary to transfer some gardening tools and equipment used in your garden works. Some other uses for carts and wheelbarrows are to collect and remove your full grown vegetables from your garden and carry dirt's and grass clippings away from the garden. • Garden Pruner – When you want to shape and cut back longer plants you will use the pruner garden tool. Pruners come in two styles. One is the bypass style and the other is the anvil. Pick up a couple of varieties to see which style is best for you. Pruners that have changeable blades and parts that are possible to sharpen will assist in extending the life of this piece of gardening equipment.
• Garden Trowel – A garden trowel is also used for weeding and cultivation. Select the one with a steel blade to make it last longer in use. There are different types of handles to choose from. You can either select the one with rubber handles that make them easier to grip while using them and there are some that are designed to relieve stress from your wrist during use.
There are still some equipment to be purchased in your gardening operations, but these tools and equipment mentioned are the basics you should purchase. If you have already your bigger capital, Roto-tiller or Tractor is also important in your garden. For the meantime, be satisfied with the basic garden tools and equipment identified, you can already start you garden operations. Happy gardening!