Did you know that the oldest ever recorded mattress is estimated to be 77,000 years old? Mattresses have indeed been used for thousands of years in various forms and shapes. The word ‘mattress' is derived from the Arabic language which means to ‘throw something down'. This is also where the word ‘mat' comes from. Ancient civilizations constructed mattresses using a myriad of natural materials including feathers, horse hair and straw. Today, mattress technology has become cutting edge. New levels of comfort have been realized; making mattress experiences for sleepers even better.
The types of mattresses you can find online
There are innumerable kinds and types of mattresses to find in the market. Knowing the specifications of various mattress types will help you choose what works for you best. Below is a drill-down of the top kinds.
1. Innerspring mattresses
These are made using a steel coil system for support. Here, springs are intricately connected to form the larger support base. With more coils, the better the quality of the mattress. This technology is considered traditional. Having said this, it is still the most popular type of mattress to many. Innerspring mattresses are some of the most affordable; and this is one of the reasons why they are still popular. Below are other advantages;
– These mattresses are very portable making them easy to transport
– They are readily available in the market
– You can choose the level of firmness as you desire
– When they are beginning to wear, the springs will make a squeaky sound which is unpleasant
– They can do a better job to tackle pressure points and pain
– They are not as durable compared to other types
2. Memory foam mattresses
Foam technology is known for its great comforts by sleepers. This makes them very popular in the market. They are highly snug and will take your relaxation to another level. The mattress will contour your body to ensure optimal pressure relief. In fact, the memory foam technology was first used by NASA and has been used in the manufacturing of comfortable seats for pilots. Regarding comfort, this type enjoys great customer satisfaction feedback. Other benefits are as follows;
– Relieves pressure points efficiently
– Ensures that your spine aligns properly
– Known to prevent pains and aches while sleeping
– The motion transfer with the mattress is very low
– Not prone to attack by allergens such as dust mites
– Very durable and can last up to 10 years
– Fits well in adjustable beds
– No major demerits to note, for low budget sleepers though, the mattress is not the most budget-friendly
3. Natural fiber mattresses
These types are made using natural fibers instead of synthetic materials such as foams. Because they are natural, this type of mattress is pricier. If you are looking for a green way to spend your time in bed, this is the best way to do it. This is the most eco-friendly mattress option in the market. Buying this mattress will literally reduce your carbon footprint. There are all manner of natural fibers to choose from. You can go with organic cotton, organic wool, bamboo, latex gotten from rubber trees, coconut coir and hemp. All the natural fibers come with their own merits. For example, if you are looking for something lasting, organic cotton mattresses can last up to 15 years. Wool on the other hand is known for its great comfort and temperature regulation. Latex is fire resistant and bamboo is a great resource that is renewable. If you want a buoyant mattress, you can consider coconut coir.
4. Latex mattresses
These are some of the most popular mattresses in the market today. First, latex is a natural substance that is durable and comfortable. However, keep in mind that latex products are not all made the same. In fact, many latex mattresses could be a hybrid of other materials. Therefore, knowing the type of latex will help you in the buying process. You can be sure that depending on the manufacturing, latex products will differ in quality. Below are the top merits;
– The mattress will not require any rotation or flipping
– They have little off-gasing
– They mostly do not use any chemicals
– They are heavier and moving them can be cumbersome
– They are more expensive and budget buyers may not afford them
5. Waterbed mattresses
Waterbeds were first made in the 1800s by a physician who was looking to make the life of his patients easier. The Scottish doctor pioneered waterbeds in a bid to tackle bedsores.
– Can promote back health
– They are versatile with ability to set water temperature and even adjust firmness
– Redefines comfort and can make your back more limber or flexible
– Temperature options mean higher electric bills
– Not the most portable option
– Complicated set up process and can be prone to puncturing and leakage
6. Pillow-top mattresses
This mattress technology is best known for the additional padding and layering it adds to the mattress. They can be used alongside other mattress technologies. Also, you have hybrid options for materials including cotton, foam, fiber film, wool, latex and memory foam.
– The additional padding is highly comfortable
– Retains its shape after using
– Does not overheat and is washable
– Has a quick bounce-back
– Some sleepers can find it too soft
– More expensive compared to other types
– Gives out a slight odor
7. Gel mattresses
This is a technology that utilizes foam that contains gel. There are many approaches to adding the gel in the foam and to this end, sleepers are provided with better comfort and overall feel. This type is usually fitted with features that eliminate overheating to control the temperatures. It is a good option when you are looking for a dynamic mattress that will give you a high quality sleep experience.
8. Hybrid mattresses
These are very common types and they feature a combination of various mattress technologies. A steel coil system is combined with all manner of foams including memory, latex and polyurethane. Foams that have gel can also be combined to create hybrids. The mattress seeks to enhance comfort by incorporating many elements that make mattresses work optimally.
When should you buy a new mattress?
After 5 to 10 years, experts recommend tossing your old mattress and buying a new one. However, the reality can be different. One major reason to buy a new mattress is to address your comfort needs. If you have been struggling with back pain and general sleeping discomfort whenever you go to bed, this is a good indicator that you may need a new one. If you are looking to upgrade and get a new technology, this is another good reason to buy a new mattress. If you have had a mattress for close to 10 years and it is still serving you perfectly, buying a new mattress may not be that necessary. If you are asking when is a good time to buy a mattress, individual factors will apply. Nevertheless, when you are ready to buy, you will be happy to know that buying the perfect mattress online is possible. In fact, you can buy a cheap mattress online without compromising the quality.
What are the benefits of buying a mattress online?
– The first and most obvious benefit is that you enjoy convenience. This way, you can consume less time because you do not have to make your way to a physical store. No matter where you are, you can shop for a mattress online.
– You can expect to pay less for your mattress when you buy online. This is because physical stores will always have a higher price tag. Online, you can purchase directly from the manufacturer or access great discounts from virtual sellers.
– It is easier to get all the product information online compared to brick and mortar stores. In fact, you can take time to learn more about the mattress without being distracted by a salesperson. In so doing, you are able to make a more informed decision on the mattress you want.
– You are more likely to buy a mattress online with free shipping included. In addition, the mattress can be delivered without your supervision or presence; unlike in conventional stores. This will save you both time and hassle.
– You will be delighted to know that the customer satisfaction level of buying online and offline is more or less the same. This means that buying a mattress at a physical store does not give you any added advantage compared to buying online.
– Online retailers are known for their exceptional customer service compared to physical stores. With a great buying experience, customers will refer others and even buy again.
Downsides of buying online
– Most online sellers will not offer old bed removal services
– You do not get the chance to test the mattress before buying; however, some online mattresses do carry a trail period
Comprehensive guide to buy the perfect mattress online
– Research on the type of mattress you want
At the beginning of this article, a list of various types of mattresses were given. Look at the merits and demerits. Consider the features and specifications of each type. If you are looking for something that will relieve back pain effectively, determine what is likely to work for you. Narrow down your options and make comparisons. When you have a better idea on the most suitable type, move on to the next step.
– Consider your mattress budget needs
Know the price range you are working with. This will allow you to narrow down the list further to the most affordable type for you. There are various factors that determine the cost of a mattress. The first element is the size, the bigger the mattress, the more expensive it will be. Mattresses come in various sizes from small to super king size. The composition, technology and brand will also determine the total cost. Take advantage of special discounts to get the most suitable mattress at the lowest price possible. Keep a keen eye on sales and offers by online stores.
– Get familiar with the policies of your online retailer
Some online stores will provide a full mattress service which includes the assembly of the product in your house. Other sellers will only undertake a front door delivery. Know what the return policies and the charges they attract. If there are any hidden or additional charges, you should know. Many mattresses come with a trial period. Therefore, get to know which brand offers this and for how long. This satisfaction guarantee is critical to getting the perfect mattress online. Also, look at the warranty information about the mattress, it can range from two years to 25 years.
– Read independent customer reviews
Search online for unbiased reviews on the mattress you are looking to buy. Get the full feedback so that you can get a sense of what you are buying. In addition to getting feedback about the quality of the mattress, look at the customer service at various online stores. This way, you can determine the best stores to buy a mattress.