Every time we want to buy new ceiling lights, we don't really think about it a lot, we just go to the store and get what is needed. Most of the times, we purchase conventional lights like incandescent or fluorescent. Have you ever thought, for once, to replace these lights with LED lights? Well maybe after reading the disadvantages of traditional lights, you would reconsider your choice.

Conventional light bulbs harm the environment: Conventional lighting requires more energy to run than LED lighting products. More energy means more electricity produced to get to the wattage needed for the light bulb to function. And when more electricity is spent, more carbon and other pollutants are dispersed in the air. Also, light bulbs include toxic gases and substances, like mercury, which makes them not recyclable.

Shorter life span: Fluorescent and incandescent light bulbs are energy inefficient. Standard light bulbs transform only 20% of energy into light, and the remaining 80% into heat. The latter burns the bulbs faster, making their life span shorter than LED light products. LEDs convert 80% of power into electrical energy which make them live longer. On another hand, fluorescent and incandescent light bulbs are very sensitive to vibrations, frequency of use, and weather, which will also affect negatively its life span.

Less saving: Conventional light bulbs cost more than LED lights on the long run. First, due to its shorter life span compared to the 11 years of continuous operation of LED lighting products, incandescent lights will have to be replaced every once in a while. Second, as mentioned, the relevant bulbs spend a lot of inefficient energy which will increase your electricity bill for nothing. On the opposite side, some LED Light emitting diode products might be more expensive to buy, but they are definitely more economical on the long run.

Delayed illumination: Fluorescent and incandescent light bulbs do not give out steady light, instead they flicker and take time to fully illuminate. This is caused by the energy lost in the void when turned on. On the contrary, LED bulbs illuminate directly after being activated as most of the energy is converted into light.

Ultraviolet provider: Fluorescent lights employ an electric current to stimulate the mercury vapor inside the lamp. This action produces small amounts of ultraviolet (UV) radiation which might impact the health of people. For those who don't know the risks on health of UV radiations, here are the most common:

  • Skin damage: the skin turns red and can become hot and painful or even swell.
  • Eye damage causing temporary painful eye injuries.
  • Infections: UV radiations can weaken the immune system increasing the infections.

Now that you are aware of the disadvantages of incandescent and fluorescent lights, you can finally be able to protect the environment and significantly decrease your electricity bill. All you have to do is to find a LED lighting store, and purchase energy saving lights.


Source by Luke C.