My wife and I love soup…or I should say good soup. I love good soup, but I just can't tolerate bland, flavourless soup. Enter, my delicious and simple to make Creamy Broccoli Soup.
You would expect to find this delicious cream of broccoli soup in a gourmet restaurant. It is not only delicious, but has a beautiful presentation. And it is so easy to make!
1-1/2 pounds broccoli
1. Clean the broccoli and chop the stems and florets into 1/2 inch pieces. If stems are thick, slice them in half. Set the broccoli aside.
3/8 cup olive oil (regular, not extra virgin)
1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan, and cook the garlic without browning. Cooking it too much will give your soup a harsh flavor.
3/8 cup orzo pasta (the little ones that look like rice)
2-1/4 cups chicken broth (low salt, if canned)
3/8 cup cream (use milk if you prefer)
1-1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper
3. Add the set-aside broccoli to the sauce pan and stir it for about 1 minute.
4. Add the above ingredients to the sauce pan and simmer all for around 15 minutes, or until the orzo pasta and the broccoli are tender.
Place the soup in bowls.
5. For garnish, sprinkle paprika around edge of bowl and a little on top of the soup, and then place a sprig of parsley on top in the middle of the soup.
This makes a beautiful presentation that you would be proud to serve to any company. Cook up some good baked or fried chicken (my favorite…oh it won't hurt occasionally), throw in a nice potato dish and start your dinner off with this soup. You can't go wrong.